Here’s 10 funny and witty quotes by the famous pop artist, Andy Warhol. These quirky tidbits touch on a variety of subjects including: commercialization, reality, and the desire for fame.
- “People sometimes say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually it’s the way things happen to you in life that’s unreal. The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it’s like watching television — you don’t feel anything.”
- “If you want to know all about Andy Warhol, just look at the surface of my paintings and films and me, and there I am. There’s nothing behind it.”
- “It would be very glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor’s finger.”
- “I’ve decided something: Commercial things really do stink. As soon as it becomes commercial for a mass market it really stinks.”
- “The mosquito is the state bird of New Jersey”
- “During the 1960s, I think, people forgot what emotions were supposed to be. And I don’t think they’ve ever remembered.”
- “In the future everyone will be world-famous for fifteen minutes.” The common saying “fifteen minutes of fame” was derived from this quote and coined by the great Warhol himself.
- “Isn’t life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?”
- “I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumors to my dogs.”
- “The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet.
Editor’s Note: Though many of these quotes are just for laughs, Warhol delves into themes of commercialization and mass production. Of course, it’s not surprising as the majority of his artwork was based on these ideas. However, the fact Warhol mentions the need for constant socialization and world fame expressed here peaks one’s interest as these ideas are often associated with the internet and social networking, which wasn’t around for the majority of his life. These quotes show how far ahead Warhol was ahead of his time.